Sunday, August 30, 2015

Movie Review: No Escape starring Owen Wilson

We went out to see No Escape at the movies and it was really intense. It was a pretty good movie, despite not having much in the way of a plot. My biggest problem is the way the first scene sort of telegraphs the punch. It was very visceral and certainly worked for shock value as I heard the people around me gasping. But I think the movie could have done better without it, and I'll explain why here in a minute.
After that scene, we were introduced to the main character and his family and what followed was, in my opinion, a well done build up of little things being not quite right in the new city they'd moved to. However, that first scene stole some of the tension from the buildup. It's like the writers were afraid without that first punch, the audience wouldn't understand something was wrong. Personally, I think that was a mistake.
No Escape had a nice blending of fast paced, relentless action, with brief moments of downtime and even some levity. I'm so used to seeing Own Wilson play sort of goofy characters I was doubtful going in that he would do well in this kind of role, so I was pleasantly surprised.
The action scenes were well done and believable, except for one scene which felt a little far fetched to me. In the interest of avoiding spoilers, I'm not going to say which one.
All in all, I enjoyed the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment