Thursday, January 2, 2014

Book Review: Light Of Requiem by Daniel Arenson


Blurb
 
War has ravaged the world. Cities lie crumbled. Forests smolder. The crows feast.

In the ruins, Requiem's last dragons lick their wounds and mourn a death among them. But they will not have long to grieve. From the ashes, a new enemy arises, one more horrible than any before.

His soldiers dead, the tyrant Dies Irae collects severed limbs, heads, and torsos. He sews them into rotting, maggoty mimics of life. With dark magic, he animates his creations... and sends them hunting.

The mimics live to kill. They do not sleep. They feel no pain. They never stop hunting. Worst of all, they undo all magic around them. When mimics are near, Requiem's survivors cannot become dragons... and must fight as humans.

Without their greatest gift, how can Requiem's children survive?
 
 
I give it 4 stars
 

 My Review
 
 
In this action packed conclusion to the Song of Dragons Trilogy, the dragon shape shifters of Requiem fight their last desperate battle for survival. If you have a weak stomach, you may want to skip this book. Dies Irae's obsession with destroying the last living members of his own race, coupled with what it cost him to gain control over the Nightshades, has driven him completely insane. The monstrous undead creatures he creates from mutilated body parts (both animal and human) are some of the most gruesome things I have ever encountered in a book. They're vicious and almost impossible to kill and the descriptions of them are enough to give anyone nightmares.
 
I found this to be a satisfying conclusion to a very good trilogy. I cried, I gasped, I bit my nails, I rode the roller coaster ride with these characters and felt their triumphs and defeats. I hated Dies Irae, even while realizing he was not entirely at fault for the person he became.
 
This is definitely a trilogy I would recommend to anybody who enjoys a fast paced, action packed, fantasy story that culminates in an ultimate battle of good versus evil.
 
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment