Saturday, March 23, 2013

Book Review: Elven Star by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman

I thought this book was even better than the first one. The characters were less mysterious, but the story was more exciting. The character of Paithan kind of reminded me of Rhett Butler from Gone With The Wind and his sister was very like Scarlett O'Hara. Indeed the entire elven society was reminiscent of the antebellum south. As before, the world was well built and interesting and so were the characters.

Two things bothered me. First, is the fact that some of the characters fell in love in what I thought was a rather abrupt manner. Second, there is a character from the Dragonlance Series in this book. I think anybody who is a fan of Dragonlance will recognize him immediately. I did. His presence in this book was jarring and irritating. It didn't help that several times he not only referenced Dragonlance, but Lord of the Rings as well. Now, he may not bother anybody unfamiliar with Dragonlance, but he bothered me.

I really enjoyed this book and I'm eager to read the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment