Friday, October 30, 2015

Book Review: Night by Alan Rodgers






2 STARS



This book started out good. I was drawn in. I was curious about the characters and their situation. But about a third of the way through, the pearl began to loose its shine. The plot started to get a little boring. And Tim is definitely one of the most annoying characters I have ever come across. And not just because every time he turns around he gets knocked unconscious, though that certainly didn't help. He is clueless. I mean he has all these "feelings" that are part of being what he is, but he doesn't understand them. He spends most of the time when he's actually conscious wandering around in a kind of daze. Sure, I've read books about characters with powers they don't understand, but Tim had someone to explain all this to him. He had his grandfather, who was the same as him, and a major force in his life, who certainly should have explained these things to him. Nobody was trying to hide what he was. Trying to protect him or whatever, like in other stories I've read. He's always known what he is, so for him to be so ignorant is ridiculous.

Things get weird in the middle. Really, really weird. Like some kind of fever dream. And what was up with the random dude who got abducted by aliens? I can't count how many times I seriously thought about putting this book down and saying forget about it.

Towards the end, there are a few good scenes. One that even had me tearing up a little. There's no doubt this book does a good job of describing a scene in such a way as to make the reader feel as if they are really there. But that doesn't make up for all the things I didn't like about this book.

And then came the ending. All I can say about that is, really? I dragged myself through this entire book for that?

No comments:

Post a Comment