Sunday, November 9, 2014

The First Paragraph: Books by Kirstin Pulioff


The Ivory Tower (a dystopian short)

I stopped counting and opened my eyes. Silence magnified the shuffling of leaves and the harsh caw of the crows.
“Ready or not, here I come,” I boomed, assessing the empty forest around me. Nothing stood out in the overgrown underbrush, just shades of greens, splashed with the occasional bright red dots from the salmonberries. After a quick glance down at my olive green leggings, worn thin around the knees, and the scratchy burlap tunic, I smiled. I blended into the forest perfectly, a ghost among the neglected trees. With a quick crack of my fingers and a tug on my ponytail, I began.


Boone's Journey (a sci-fi short)

Red, green, blue, red, green, blue.
The familiar pattern of flashing lights lulled her into the place between complacency and comfort. Talia’s lips pursed, humming in beat to the light’s pulsations as she flew through the motions, marking items systematically off her imaginary checklist. Landing gear ready – check, deceleration auto pilot – check, sensory gauge on – check, vodka – check, check. Everything seemed in place. Rebooting the computers on the Turinth Outposts had been part of her mission for the past five years, making this more of a habit than a challenge.




1 comment:

  1. Ah! I've ready Boones Journey, and it was one of my favorites.

    Now I need to go re-read the Ivory Tower. She's re-hooked me. I'm obsessed with this author in so many ways I think I could be called a stalker.

    ReplyDelete