Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Author Interview: Cathrina Constantine

Welcome to Blogger Book Fair day three. Today, I have an interview with Cathrina Constantine, author of Wickedly They Come.



What inspired you to write this book?

 I hoped for a powerful story to inspire young and adults in the belief of Christian faith that is mystical and glorious. And while in the writing process to transpire an enthralling, action packed tale.

 How did you choose your title?

 Choosing a title is very hard for me. I like everyone else’s titles better. And then I thought of the evil, wickedness that is being released from hell, and somehow the title Wickedly They Come came to mind.

 Tell us about the cover and how it came to be.

 Hellfire erupts repeatedly in Wickedly They Come. And furling fire has the potency to transfix us all. Melissa Stevens illustrated the cover and I absolutely love it.

 Did you self publish or publish traditionally and why?

 After many revisions and querying agents which seemed like forever, I was ready to throw in the towel when I learned about small presses. Following a few queries, I had three offers of representation. I selected Black Opal Books, and they are a remarkable small press with professional, friendly people. Black Opal Authors are like one big family!

 What do you consider the most important part of a good story?

 When Seeley says to her daughter, Jordan, “I’m an optimist. I believe love conquers hate, faith overcomes despair, and that life is stronger than death.”

 What is you writing process?

 That’s a funny process for me—I sit at the computer and pray something interesting develops in my brain. Sometimes it does and sometimes it’s a bust. At those times, I need to walk away. And when scenes pop into my head I run back to the computer to write them down. It could be as simple as a sentence to a whole chapter. As you can tell, I’m a pantser.

 How long have you been writing?

 I liked writing stories and little plays when I was young, and as a teenager I sent short stories to magazines without any luck. Years later, the story for Wickedly came to mind and the rest is history.

 What tips can you give on how to get through writers block?

 Take a break!

 What kind of music do you like to listen to while you write?

 I tried listening to music once, and I found myself dancing around the house ignoring my writing. I like complete quiet.

 Who is your favorite author?

 I don’t have a favorite author. There’s a myriad of author’s that I love and that have inspired me. Recently, author’s that are now my internet friends have written amazing novels!

 What advice would you give an author just starting out?

 Keep writing to hone your craft. Read tons of books in the genre that you like to write, and investigate all the publishing options. And lastly, persevere, persevere, and persevere....

 What's your next project?

 I’m in the second editing phase for my dystopian novel, TALLAS. My third novel is in the hands of my literary agent, Sharon Belcastro of The Belcastro Literary Agency. And I’ve recently completed the first draft of the sequel for Wickedly They Come.


Hello! from Cathrina Constantine. This is my first Blogger Book Fair and I’m thrilled to be your guest. My debut novel, Wickedly They Come, published by Black Opal Books will be released on August 24, 2013.


 

Wickedly They Come: A Dark, Gripping Fantasy:
HAUNTING VISIONS, UNUSUAL STRENGTH, AND SPECIAL PARANORMAL TALENTS ARE THE NORM FOR SEELEY AND HER SIXTEEN-YEAR-OLD DAUGHTER, JORDAN. THEIR LIVES BECOME PERILOUS WHEN THE LEADER OF THE BLACK ORDER STALKS THEM, TRYING TO FULFILL A PROPHECY TO CONSECRATE JORDAN TO HIS LORD—LUCIFER.
PREVIOUSLY HOMESCHOOLED AND NAIVE, JORDAN IS INDUCTED INTO THE SOCIAL CULTURE OF TEENDOM AT ELMA HIGH, WHERE SHE ENCOUNTER MAR, A MYSTERIOUS NEW CLASSMATE, WHO IS HELL BENT ON KEEPING HER UNSCATHED FROM THE FORCES OF EVIL. A GRIPPING, DARK FANTASY WHERE THE BATTLE BETWEEN HEAVEN AND HELL IS ESCALATING, AND EARTH IS THEIR BATTLEGROUND.
 
About Cathrina:
Constantine resides in Upstate New York with her husband, five children, two Labrador Retrievers and two cats. Cathrina enjoys baking, quilting, reading, and of course, writing. She usually breaks the day with a hike in the woods with her dogs while conjuring up a new tale.
I’d like to thank Kyra Dune for featuring me on her blog today!
 You can find Cathrina Constantine at these sites:
 
 



5 comments:

  1. Wonderful interview with Cathrina. I can't wait for Wickedly They Come and for the record I think it's an awesome title! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the interview. I think it's a cool title too.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping by Julie. I'm getting more nervous than excited, though. Glad you like the title.

      Delete
  2. I'd like to thank you, Kyra for interviewing me and featuring me on her blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Cathrina. I was happy to have you.

      Delete