Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Book Review: Joyland by Stephen King

Blurb: Set in a small-town North Carolina amusement park in 1973, Joyland tells the story of the summer in which college student Devin Jones comes to work as a carny and confronts the legacy of a vicious murder, the fate of a dying child, and the ways both will change his life forever.
 
I give it 4 stars
 
My Review:
 
There is a lot of jumping back and forth between different timelines in this book, and I'm not talking about just two different points in time either. I always find this a little jarring and confusing. However, it does suit the tone of the story, which is being told by an old man recalling something that happened to him in his youth.
Joyland is rather short for a King novel, but it's equally as entertaining as any of his longer works. There's plenty of emotion in this book, along with a few ghosts and a murder mystery. As always, King paints a fascinating portrait of humanity and while Joyland is not as intense as some of his other books, it stills packs a punch. I know I cried at the end and for me tears are always a good sign of fine writing.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment