Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Book Review: Killbox by Ann Aguirre

Sirantha Jax is a "jumper" who can traverse grimspace to carry starships through the endless void of the universe. She must use this skill to help the Armada (a collective of humans and aliens who are basically universal police) fight against the Morgut (flesh eating aliens).

At first, I was afraid this book would be too heavy on the science for my taste. But the more I read it the better I liked it. Jax is a complex and very real character and it's a treat to watch her interact in a believable way with the people closest to her. This book is intense and captivating. It swept me along and kept me eager to see what would happen next.

My only complaint is the ending. With enemy starships on the horizon and Jax in a life or death situation, the book ends. Not until the next in the series do you get to find out what happens. I can understand writing this kind of ending (I'm even guilty of it myself, though not in such an intense situation) but it is frustrating to not know what happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment